Glossaries help manufacturers and consumers stay informed about new technology and processes.
Have you ever found yourself reading industrial manuals or industry news, and you don’t know what equipment is being discussed?
Industrial manufacturing is a complex market filled with equipment and processes that can be confusing to consumers. Even for manufacturers, new terms and products pop up, making it difficult to stay informed.
That’s why iGAM has created an ever-growing glossary so you can stay sharp on all things industrial manufacturing and automation. Check it out on our Glossary page and read more about the glossary below!
Benefits of an Industry Glossary
An industry glossary provides one location to find all terms that relate to that industry.
In manufacturing and automation, a glossary is a great feature to have since it offers a context for equipment and processes that people in different departments may not be familiar with.
Examples from iGAM’s Glossary
If you want to visit our Glossary, click here! You will have access to a constantly updating list that we define to keep you informed about industry terms.
Here are a few examples of the terms we have on our page:
- Arm – a mechanical device composed of links and joints that is programmable to complete a set of commands
- Axis – the availability of motion in robot joints in linear or rotary actions
Understanding robot axes enables you to choose a robot that has the flexibility you need in your production line.
- Circuit Breaker – a system used to protect electrical systems from damage caused by short circuits
If you are in need of a circuit breaker, visit the iGAM Marketplace!
- Controller System – a computer used to store data, program commands, and execute commands in a robotic system
- Cycle – one complete execution of a set of actions programmed in a robotic system
During robot repair, cycles are mentioned to diagnose technical issues as well as determine if the robot system is running smoothly after reconditioning.
- Human Machine Interface (HMI) – an electronic dashboard connecting the user to a machine or device to view data and perform operations
Electrical equipment like HMIs are constantly being updated with new technology. Because of this, staying on top of these terms as they evolve are necessary to maintain your production line with the best tools offered at that time. Find the best HMI for your company at iGAM.
- Material Handling – the movement of materials by a robotic arm from one place to another
- Offline Programming – the ability of a robot or piece of equipment to operate separately from programming
- Payload – the capacity of weight that a machine can handle during an operation
Payload is an incredibly important feature of industrial robots. When you are shopping for a robot, knowing the payload that the robot is required to handle is crucial to ensuring that your equipment and product will be used correctly.
- Quality Assurance (QA) – the methods and procedures used during testing to ensure a product delivers according to design specifications
Quality assurance gives you peace of mind that you are receiving a product that works as it should. iGAM practices quality assurance by testing our products and backing them with a 20-Month Warranty Coverage to give you peace of mind with your purchase.
- Teach Pendant – a handheld programming box to remotely control a robot’s movements
- Welding – the process of combining metal pieces or parts at a joint or edge using heat
These are only a few of the terms we have on our Glossary. Check out the full list to learn more about common and unusual industrial and automation terms so you stay in-the-know!
Plus, you can subscribe to our newsletter to put your new knowledge to the test. Our monthly newsletter includes pertinent industry news, recent iGAM blog posts, and great sales on our marketplace! You can sign up for our newsletter on our website.
Have a suggestion? Send it to us!
If you want iGAM to define a term for you, feel free to send it to us via our contact form. We will add it to our page so you can access it at any time.
Visit iGAM’s Glossary!
iGAM’s Glossary is live so you can use it as a reference for purchasing a robot, servicing your line, reading industry news, or any other application. We update it frequently to keep you informed on the latest industry terms. Be sure to bookmark it for easy access!
iGAM is the leading online marketplace for industrial robots and manufacturing equipment. Plus, we offer automation services to help you integrate your production line from start to finish. Contact iGAM today to learn more about how we can help you automate your business!